- RT @trevor_neilson: RT: @CAUSECAST FBI warns: make sure your aid $ to Haiti is going to reputable orgs, not scams.http://ow.ly/Wbym
- RT @smartgivers & @CharityNav: Are Text Donations Safe?#haiti http://ow.ly/WyMD Yes, but you need to be smart (as always)!
- RT @rosettathurman: UPDATED POST: How You Can Help Haiti. Right Now. http://ow.ly/WzmL #HelpHaitiDC #DC
- “The Rise of Wealth Whisperers” – philanthropy advice in 2010, in @WSJWealthReport: http://ow.ly/Vf1z Via @jaybarclaylove
- Executive Compensation, Charities, and the Curse of Proximity from Harvard Business Review http://ow.ly/WXE3
- Have you voted for a #shorty? http://ow.ly/VBUz Vote up your faves in #philanthropy, #fundraising & #nonprofit!
- Mobile giving to @RedCross for #Haiti by state. A great map!http://ow.ly/WRmW Thanks to @amyrsward for the find!
- Arabella Philanthropic Investment Advisors recommendations on #Haiti for philanthropists http://ow.ly/WGDv Via@SShiroma
- @Philanthropy‘s @ianwilhelm has 2020 trends right!http://ow.ly/VFKM TY for placing intl #philanthropy & changing demography up front!
- Robin E. Williams (@thinkthanks) on “Emerging Trends in Donor Relations” http://ow.ly/Wz2p
While the news on Haiti relief efforts and donations to support them largely overshadowed much of the other news on philanthropy and fundraising last week, there were a large number of other items of interest as well. Following are some of the most important “tweets” in our field over the same time frame, organized by category:
- Powerball winner and alumnus Soloman Jackson gives Morris College $10 million! http://ow.ly/VFnA
- Lei Zhang’s $8,888,888 gift to @YaleSOM stirs debate in#China http://ow.ly/VFHo What do you think? #philanthropy
- RT @pr_nonprofit: $1.6M from estate of Nell Rose Bates to Selwyn Avenue Presbyterian Church & Foundation For The Carolinas http://ow.ly/WzpQ
- Frank and Katrina Basile pledge $500K to the Regional Performing Arts Center in Carmel http://ow.ly/WXWy#philanthropy
- @lancearmstrong & @LIVESTRONG pledge $250K to@MSF_USA & @PIH_org for #Haiti http://ow.ly/WzuF Via@BetheChangeInc
- Car dealer Al Hendrickson Sr. to replace $25K donation promised to Family Central Inc. by Ponzi schemer http://ow.ly/VFvF
- Kresge Foundation awards over $1 Million to double number of college graduates in MI http://ow.ly/WcjM
- Chapman Charitable Trusts Announce Major Gift Benefiting the TU College of Law http://ow.ly/WXZt
- RI Fdn to focus on areas crucial to the state’s economic recovery: public education and primary health carehttp://ow.ly/VH5j
- “America’s Most Generous Corporate Foundations” from @BWhttp://ow.ly/WPeI Via @fdncenter
- Goldman Sachs considers expanding program requiring execs & managers to give % of earnings to charity http://ow.ly/VFAT
- @Target to donate $500K & 1 million + meals to #Haitihttp://ow.ly/WY6b
- RT @CSRwire: Mosaic Company gives $500K for #Haiti relief efforts http://ow.ly/WQWr
- Humana Donating $100,000 to Haiti Effortshttp://ow.ly/WXOJ
- Astoria Federal Savings launches Matching Gift Campaign for#Haiti, will give up to $50K http://ow.ly/WUXL Via @CSRwire
- RT @CSRwire: Continental Airlines Responds to Haiti Earthquake Disaster http://ow.ly/WQ12
- @FraserInstitute study says Americans are 2-3 times more generous than Canadians http://ow.ly/VFhT Your opinion of this analysis?
Other Philanthropy & Fundraising News
- A flurry of last-minute giving lifted charities’ holiday appeals: http://ow.ly/VGVx
- RT @BethanyDeines: U. endowments’ avg investment return was -19% in ’09; toll would have been worse w/o late-year rebound http://ow.ly/VhCV
- @phijo becomes a program of the Institute for Nonprofits at NC State University http://ow.ly/WP4P
- @robert_weiner on the “Ingredients of a High Performing Advancement Services Shop” http://ow.ly/WyQD
- RT @Philanthropedia & @tactphil: @BW story about @givewell, @philanthropedia, @charity_nav @greatnonprofits& @tactphil http://ow.ly/Wzyk
- Director of Development wanted by BUILD in San Francisco:http://ow.ly/WPuK Via @cgcareers
- Research Analyst wanted by the University of Chicagohttp://ow.ly/WXCn
- Senior Vice President for University Advancement wanted by Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota http://ow.ly/VfXR
- Senior Resources Coordinator (Fundraising) wanted by Transparency International (@anticorruption) in Berlinhttp://ow.ly/VEP1
Follow me on Twitter (http://twitter.com/gordonjayfrost) to see all the individual tweets during the week.